We want everyone in our community to have a safe and fun Halloween. Please remind children of the importance of being safe while out trick-or-treating. Here are some important safety tips:
- Make sure children are accompanied by an adult or responsible teenager when they go door-to-door. Please do NOT let them go alone!
- Instruct children to never eat anything until they are home and the treats have been examined. Do not allow children to eat any homemade goodies.
- Check the treat wrappers for signs of tampering.
- Throw out suspicious treats.
- Make sure children’s costumes fit, the costumes are short enough to prevent tripping and that children can see well. Remember, using face paint makes it easier to see than wearing a mask.
- Tell your children to trick-or-treat in their own neighborhood and to stay on well-lighted streets.
- Teach your children not to go inside or in the back or side yard of any home.
- If children are going to be out after dark make sure they carry a flashlight. Reflective clothing or tape is a good idea.
- Know which friends your child will be with and which route they will be taking.
- Leave your porch light on, so children will know its okay to visit your home.
- Teach your children to use the sidewalks and to watch out for traffic.
- Keep costumed children away from pets. The pet may not recognize the child and become frightened.
Be safe and have fun!